If you have naturally curly hair, then you already know that you need to take special care of it. This means that you need to have a hair care routine that will work well for your hair. Since hair that is naturally curly tends to be drier than hair that is straight, it tends to be quite prone to frizz. When you add color and heat styling, your hair can become quite dry, so getting the right hair products is very important. There are dos and don’ts that you should adhere to if you have curly hair. By making sure you do so, you can be sure that your curly or wavy locks will be the envy of many.
Things to do
- Condition your hair – Since curly hair tends to be quite dry, you should make sure to use plenty of conditioner. Interestingly, even though curly hair tends to be dry, your scalp tends to be quite oily. When conditioning your hair, concentrate more on your hair ends and try to avoid the roots of your hair.
- Detangle your mane – Since curly hair is prone to tangling you should detangle it once you have put in the conditioner while showering. Get a wide tooth comb and use it, detangling from the ends towards the roots of the hair. Knots should be removed gently as you work your way up slowly.
- Deep conditioning treatment – You should regularly use a treatment to deeply condition your hair. Once a week works really well. However, if your hair is fine, consider using a mask instead.
- Find the right products – You should consider shopping around to find the products that work best for your hair. Some people swear by Love Ur Self products while others swear by other products. Find what works for you!
- Products should be applied to wet hair – Be sure to apply the products you will be using right when you finish your shower. By doing this, you will prevent frizz and lock moisture into your hair.
Things not to do
- Don’t ever brush dry hair because that will leave it looking all frizzy. If there are knots in your hair, detangle them from the ends up.
- Do not condition your scalp. As mentioned earlier, your scalp tends to be very oily and this oil does not travel from the scalp down the hair. Shampoo your scalp and hair and then when conditioning, work from the ends up.
- Do not regularly straighten your hair. Since your hair is dry, it will get negatively affected by heat styling and straightening. Of course you can do it every now and then, but make sure you use a spray to protect it from the heat. Curly hair can be worn in a variety of ways, so enjoy discovering new ways of doing just that.
- Avoid regular towels – By rubbing your hair with a regular towel, you will create the kind of friction that gets hair frizzy. You should consider using a soft T-shirt, or a microfiber towel instead. Don’t rub your hair dry; instead squeeze it.