Are you trying to obtain your first international drivers permit? We’ll show you how to ensure that your license is accepted in the country you choose.
Let’s face it; you want to drive in a new country. But, their rules don’t match up to your current license status. Fortunately, there are ways to receive an international driver’s license without going through a difficult process.
Getting your international drivers permit online requires a lot of research and planning. However, it’s not that difficult once you fully understand the rules and regulations of your desired country. By the end of this guide, you’ll know more about the international drivers permit and how it relates to your stay in nondomestic countries.
How to Change Your International Driver’s Permit
International permits expire after a year. If you live in a country longer than a year, you will have to obtain a driver’s license in that country. The process of receiving a license will vary from each country, so ensure that you fit with their regulations.
For instance, you can drive in France with a foreign license. Their country recognizes drivers licenses for about a year, as long as you have your International driver’s permit. If you’re a driver with a European Union License, then you can drive in Europe for an unlimited amount of time as long as the license is valid.
France has agreements in other countries, such as South Africa, Australia, and some provinces within the US where citizens can change their license without having to take any additional tests.
How to Drive in a Foreign Country
Follow these tips to ensure that you can receive your international permit online and drive outside your domestic country.
- When you receive your international drivers permit, keep it with you at all times. You need to have both your IDP and your drivers license so that the authorities can assist you if you are ever pulled over.
- Speak to the embassy of the country you plan to visit to see ahead of time what it takes to drive there legally.
- Research the driving laws in your visited country.
- If you are living in a country where you’re driving to the left, such as Australia, UK, and India, start by practicing in a rural area first. This is because the area isn’t crowded and it will help you prepare for traffic inside a large city. Don’t start by driving to a large city.
- If you do have children, check for the car seat law. Figure out if its based on legal age or height. For instance, in the US, your child has to be either 12 years old or 135 cm until they are able to sit in the front of the car. Also, check out if your car has an air bag that turns on automatically or manually.
Overall, your international drivers permit online is an important piece of identification to take with you when you’re outside the US. This means that you must make sure that your country of choice accepts your license and your IDP before you can drive. Ultimately, get your IDP so that you can drive internationally.