With Valentine’s Day now just a few days away, you may be starting to think about gift ideas for your other half. While you could do the usual chocolates, there are loads of alternative options that will show them just how much you care.
However, after the expense of Christmas, you may be wondering how you can do something different without spending a fortune. Read on to find the answer.
A Romantic Afternoon or Evening
No matter what your partner is into, if you’re looking for a more unusual way to mark Valentine’s Day, then how about planning a fun-filled activity? Rather than giving them a present, this allows you to have fun together and make wonderful memories.
More original than booking a table at a restaurant or buying theatre tickets, you could consider one of these ideas:
- Hold hands as you skate around an ice rink
- Try ballroom, swing or the lindy hop with a dance class
- Book the two of you onto a ghost tour
- Have fun at a murder mystery night
- Get romantic at a poetry reading
- Enjoy yourselves at a comedy show
- Pamper yourselves with a spa day
- Or recreate your first date
Handmade and Heartfelt Gifts
Although you could go down the traditional route and buy them a dozen red roses or a watch, there are loads of more creative gift ideas that they’re bound to love.
Show just how well you know them with a different kind of present:
- Go DIY
- by making a scrapbook with your favourite memories, listing the reasons you love them, or filling a frame with your best photos
- Be sneaky and choose something from their Amazon wish list
- Surprise them with a piece of jewellery or clothing they want
- Give a gift that keeps giving by planning 12 months of dates
- Or treat their taste buds with handmade cupcakes or cookies
A Cosy Day at Home
While you may think you have to buy a big expensive present or plan a fancy evening out, it’s possible to stay in and still have a really special Valentine’s Day.
- Cook them a romantic three-course meal
- Plan a cuddled-up night on the sofa with a movie kit
- Have a lazy day complete with breakfast in bed
- Or turn off your phones, TV and laptops and ask insightful questions to strengthen your relationship
As you can see, there are loads of ways to have an original Valentine’s Day without splurging. This means you can be romantic while also keeping on top of your finances– a win-win situation!