Julien’s Auctions will celebrate the timeless glamour and inimitable style and genius of the legendary fashion and costume designer, Bob Mackie in PROPERTY FROM THE COLLECTION OF BOB MACKIE, the world-record breaking auction house’s fashion auction event of the season taking place on Saturday, November 17, 2018 live in Los Angeles and online at juliensauctions.com (left to right: gown worn by Carol Burnett, Cher’s show worn ensemble and Raquel Welch’s “I’m a Woman” performance gown)
Cher. Carol Burnett. Diana Ross. Raquel Welch. These are just some of the entertainment icons and muses Bob Mackie has designed for and whose legendary creations have captured the public imagination and made headlines around the world. From his unforgettable award winning wardrobe as the show costume designer for the first Carol Burnett Show during its entire eleven year run to his longtime collaboration with Cher and her dazzling, boundary pushing wardrobe on her television show, concert tours and show stopping public appearances, the nine time Emmy award winning designer, three time Academy Award nominee and the Television Academy Hall of Fame inductee has spent a distinguished career of designing for women who dare to be noticed. His unprecedented career achievements have been honored by the fashion industry and the arts in numerous awards including: the TDF Irene Sharaff Lifetime Achievement Award in 2007 for theatrical costume design; the “Charlie” (Chaplin) Award for Fashion Arts by the Hollywood Arts Council in 2008; a Design Legend Award and an Honorary Doctorate Degree from Otis College of Art and Design in 2011 where Mackie has mentored students for over two decades; the Chicago History Museum with the Designer of Excellence Award in 2016 and more. In 1999, the Museum at The Fashion Institute of Technology honored Mackie’s enormous contribution to fashion and costume design with the retrospective Unmistakably Mackie, which was one of the most highly attended exhibitions in New York City history.
Today’s biggest stars and celebrities continue to clamor to be dressed by Mackie and his brand continues to flourish with his QVC Wearable Art Collection as well as his designs for Cher in her Classic Cher concert series in 2017 and the wardrobe for The Cher Show, set to open on Broadway in fall 2018.
Highlights of the collection include:
- Carol Burnett’s colorful costumes worn on her TV show The Carol Burnett Show including a pair of costumes worn by Carol Burnett and Joel Grey in a “Commedia Dell’Arte” skit with Grey and Burnett as Punch and Judy dolls (estimate: $2000-$4000), a coral jersey gown and embellished bolero worn on the show by Burnett (estimate: $1,000-$2,000) and a colorful custom made matte jersey gown worn by Burnett to the People’s Choice Awards in 1977 (estimate: $2000-$4000)
- Several of Cher’s most iconic, headline making ensembles worn in the 1970s including her 1974 Academy Awards custom made hand painted silk ensemble comprising of a cape, a bandeau top with scarf and a low waisted layered skirt (estimate: $4,000-$6,000); her spaghetti strapped jersey gown worn on The Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour(estimate: $3,000-$5,000); her marigold jersey jumpsuit worn while performing “Everyday People” with Sonny on The Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour and Cher (estimate: $3,000-$5,000); a large Mabel the Fable Lady costume worn by Cher in a skit with Better Midler on The Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour and more
- A petal pink satin gown worn by Julia Louis-Dreyfus to the 1998 Emmy Awards (estimate: $3,000-$5,000)
- Raquel Welch’s figure hugging nude jersey gown embellished with topaz and white faceted glass and rows of gold bugle beads worn on the TV show Cher (estimate: $3,000-$5,000)
- A black custom made gown worn by Lauren Bacall in 1970 in the Broadway show Applause and to the 24th Annual Tony Awards where she won for Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Musical for that role (estimate: $3,000-$5,000)
In addition, Julien’s Auctions and luxury ocean liner company Cunard will bring high fashion and Hollywood history to the high seas in an exclusive auction exhibition of the collection aboard flagship Queen Mary 2 in a voyage departing out of London on August 19, 2018 arriving in New York on August 26,th
On this voyage, passengers will not only be treated to a special preview exhibition of the collection but will sail with Bob Mackie himself who will participate in exclusive guest programs on board.
On the Transatlantic Crossing out of London to New York, guests will enjoy:
A daily, rotating exhibit of the Bob Mackie collection
Exclusive opportunity to bid on choice items in advance of the general auction which will be held at Julien’s Auctions in Los Angeles in November 2018
Q&A with Darren Julien, President and CEO of Julien’s Auctions and Martin Nolan, Executive Director of Julien’s Auctions
Q&A with designer Bob Mackie
An opportunity to win an original costume sketch drawing by Bob Mackie
“Bob Mackie’s five decade long career designing some of the most iconic fashions and looks of all time worn by some of the most glamorous stars in all of Hollywood history has been nothing short of extraordinary,” said Martin Nolan, Executive Director of Julien’s Auctions. “We are very honored to present this once in a lifetime opportunity for passengers on board Cunard’s venerable Queen Mary 2 to experience the style and art of Bob Mackie as well as meet the legend himself behind this spectacular collection.”
For more information about Cunard, or to book a voyage, contact your Travel Consultant, call Cunard Line at 1-800-728-6273 or visit www.cunard.com.
JULIEN’S AUCTIONS PUBLIC EXHIBITION
Monday, November 12th-Friday, November 16th
11:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. PST
Free to the public
JULIEN’S AUCTIONS LIVE AND ONLINE AUCTION
Property from the Collection of Bob Mackie
Saturday, November 17, 2018
Location to be announced
For more information please email – firstname.lastname@example.org or call 310-836-1818.
REGISTERING TO BID
Registration is required to bid in this online auction and can be done in person at the exhibition, or online before the sale at the JuliensAuctions.com Registration page to bid by phone, proxy or in person, or online at JuliensLive.com to bid live online, or by calling (310) 836-1818.
There are four ways to bid in this sale:
- Bid through Julien’s Auctions Online Live in Real Time at JuliensLive.com.
- Bid over the telephone through an auction house representative.
- Submit a bid in person at the Julien’s Los Angeles Gallery
- Enter Absentee bids. Absentee bid forms are included in the back of each catalogue and are also available by calling Julien’s Auctions or online at www.juliensauctions.com.
Julien’s Auctions is the world-record breaking auction house. Collaborating with the famous and the exclusive, Julien’s Auctions produces high profile auctions in the film, music, sports and art markets. Julien’s Auctions has received international recognition for its unique and innovative auction events, which attract thousands of collectors, investors, fans and enthusiasts from around the world. Julien’s Auctions specializes in sales of iconic artifacts and notable collections including Marilyn Monroe, John Lennon, Ringo Starr, Lady Gaga, Banksy, Cher, Michael Jackson, U2, Barbra Streisand, Les Paul, Neil Young, Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, Jimi Hendrix and many more. In 2016, Julien’s Auctions received its second placement in the Guinness Book of World Records for the sale of the world’s most expensive dress ever sold at auction, The Marilyn Monroe “Happy Birthday Mr. President” dress which sold for $4.8 million. Julien’s Auctions achieved placement in the Guinness Book of World Records in 2009 for the sale of Michael Jackson’s white glove, which sold for $480,000 making it the most expensive glove ever sold at auction. Based in Los Angeles, Julien’s Auctions has a global presence bringing their auctions and exhibitions to targeted destinations worldwide including London, New York, Las Vegas, Japan and China. Live auctions are presented for bidders on-site and online via live streaming video and mobile technology. For more information on Julien’s Auctions, go to www.juliensauctions.com. Connect with Julien’s Auctions at www.facebook.com/JuliensAuction or www.twitter.com/JuliensAuctions or www.instagram.com/juliens_auctions.