Before Broadway’s biggest night this Sunday, June 12th, 36 productions will have opened on Broadway in the 2015-16 season. Of those productions, 18 are nominated for Tony Awards this year, and 94 of the actors and creative teams in those productions will walk the red carpet on Sunday as nominees.
Fun Facts about this year’s nominees and Tony Awards ceremony:
· 70,000 roses arranged by hand on the red carpet
· 20,520 – total number of words in the Hamilton score
· 14,000 – the number of hors d’oeuvres that will be served to hungry Tony Awards winners, nominees and presenters at the official Tony Awards Gala at the Plaza Hotel
· 241 – the total number of spit takes in School of Rock
· 210 – the amount of feet of red carpet the 2016 Tony Nominees, presenters and VIP guests will walk down before entering the Beacon Theatre
· 22 – the number of times the word “sugar” is said in Waitress
· 9 – the number of Tony nominees making their Broadway acting debut this season
· 4 – the number of years Steve Martin and Edie Brickell been collaborators
· 3 – the number of decades spanned in Bright Star
· 1 – the amount of Tony Awards won by host James Corden (best leading actor in a play for One Man, Two Guvnors-2012)
As previously announced, the star-studded evening will also feature appearances by Uzo Aduba, Cate Blanchett, Christian Borle, Claire Danes, Common, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Glenn Close, Josh Groban, Jake Gyllenhaal, Neil Patrick Harris, Sean Hayes, Nikki M. James, James Earl Jones, Daniel Dae Kim, Carole King, Diane Lane, Nathan Lane, Angela Lansbury, Lucy Liu, Audra McDonald, Marlee Matlin, Patina Miller, Bebe Neuwirth, Andrew Rannells, Chita Rivera, Saoirse Ronan, Keri Russell, Meg Ryan, Barbra Streisand, Aaron Tveit, Blair Underwood, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Oprah Winfrey, Mary Elizabeth Winstead and 2016 Tony Nominees Steve Martin and Edie Brickell.
The high-energy evening will feature performances from the 2016 Tony-nominated Best Musical and Best Revival of a Musical shows, including Tony nominees Brandon Victor Dixon and Adrienne Warren and the cast of Shuffle Along, Or The Making of the Musical Sensation of 1921 and All That Followed; Tony nominees Laura Benanti, Zachary Levi and Jane Krakowski and the cast of She Loves Me; Tony nominee Alex Brightman and the cast of School of Rock; Tony nominee Danny Burstein and the cast of Fiddler on the Roof; Tony nominees Danielle Brooks and Cynthia Erivo and the cast of The Color Purple; Tony nominees Lin-Manuel Miranda, Phillipa Soo, Leslie Odom Jr., Renée Elise Goldsberry, Christopher Jackson and Daveed Diggs and the cast of Hamilton; Tony nominees Sara Bareilles, Christopher Fitzgerald and Jessie Mueller and the cast of Waitress; Tony nominee Carmen Cusack and the cast of Bright Star; and the cast of Spring Awakening. The Tony Awards upholds a valued tradition of recognizing the excellence of the entire Broadway season each year. The telecast will also feature a not-to-be missed performance by Gloria Estefan and the cast of On Your Feet!