The best race in the world is the weekend. Get ready for a fantastic Kentucky Derby to blow your mind. The fastest horse and the perfect drink are the things of legendary moments. Of course no Kentucky Derby viewing party would be complete without the perfect Mint Julep.
Woodford Reserve, Proper No Twelve Irish Whiskey, and Slow & Low all have several great recipes to make you smile at the finish line. Here are a few of our favorites.
THE PERFECT WOODFORD RESERVE MINT JULEP
2 parts Woodford Reserve
1 part Water
1 tsp. Sugar
4 sprigs Fresh Mint
- Express the essential oils in the mint and rub them inside the glass or copper cup.
- To the same glass, add sugar, water, bourbon and crushed ice.
- Stir. Garnish with more crushed ice and fresh mint.
Slow & Low Mint Julep
3 oz of Slow & Low Rye Whiskey
1/2 oz of Simple Syrup – Preferably Demerara
10 sprigs of mint (Reserve 1 sprig for garnish)
Copper, steel or aluminum cup
- Muddle whiskey and mint in a mix glass.Add 1 large cube of ice.
- Stir, but not so much as to dilute
- Add liberal amounts of crushed ice to more than fill the tin cup.
- Fine strain contents of mix into a glass overcrushed ice.
- Garnish with 6 mint leaves.
THE PROPER JULEP
2 oz Proper No. Twelve Irish Whiskey
.25 oz raw sugar
8-10 Mint Leaves
- Lightly muddle ¾ of the mint leaves and sugar into cup
- Add Proper No. Twelve Whiskey and crushed ice
- Garnish with mint