Tomato is supposed to be the most popular and consistent crop that is found in almost every vegetable garden. Many people often cannot boast of a garden but they take immense pride in growing tomato plants in containers. Tomatoes are supposed to be a hot favorite vegetable and are consumed almost all through the year. They are regarded as one of the most popular and productive vegetables that could easily be grown in gardens and even in planters.
The Secrets of Growing Tomato
Here are a few effective expert tips to follow while growing tomatoes. You would not have to encounter any concerns and issues if you follow the following five fundamental rules of growing tomatoes. They are:
- You must use good soil that contains lots of compost.
- Mulching your tomato plant is crucial to its growth. Tomatoes grow well in warm climatic conditions with even temperatures. You must mulch to boost growth as mulching provides necessary nutrients to your soil.
- Remember to grow tomatoes organically. Avoid the use of toxic chemicals. You must consider using natural pest controls like soap and garlic sprays.
- Grow the right variety for your locality or area. You must consider visiting the local nursery. You must seek expert advice and choose to grow only those kinds of tomatoes that are best-suited to your area.
- Weather should be your prime concern. You must watch the weather conditions. Tomatoes would grow only if the minimum night temperature is 10 degrees Celsius or above, or else, the plant would die. During the fall, you must be cautious as heavy rains could lead to wilt.
If you pay attention to the above-mentioned fundamentals of growing your own tomatoes, you are sure to succeed without much hassle.
Why Grow Tomatoes?
There are numerous reasons for growing tomatoes. Here are some of the top reasons why people love to plant tomatoes.
- It is an extremely productive crop to grow and it is equally financially rewarding.
- People usually, grow tomatoes in their kitchen gardens but growing tomatoes in pots is also quite popular. You could grow your own tomatoes without the use of any harmful chemicals and this is supposed to be a major health benefit for you and your family and it goes toward environment conservation in the long run.
- Tomatoes grow practically everywhere. There is no dearth of space to grow tomatoes. They could be grown in a pot, planter, container, a box practically everywhere even on the porch or on the roof.
- Tomatoes are rich in nutrients. In this context, you must know that tomatoes contain trace minerals including potassium and manganese. Tomatoes are known for their high nutritive value as they contain anti-oxidants like 9-oxooctecadienic acid, Vitamins B6, B3, A, C, & K, and even lycopene. Thanks to so many nutrients, tomatoes are eaten not only for their sheer delicious taste but because they offer numerous health benefits such as, breast cancer prevention, anti-aging solutions, increase in bone mass, prevention of diabetes, protection from heart diseases, osteoporosis, lung cancer and prostate cancer and supports our immune system.
- Tomatoes are usually grown in an organic or chemical-free garden that has rich, healthy soil so these plants are not disease-prone. It is, therefore, easy to grow your own tomatoes. You just need to be cautious during the wet season. Wilt and Blight could cause concerns if you do not watch out.
- There are more than 1,000 different types of tomatoes that grow in different shapes and sizes.
- They are easily preserved and used in various sauces, ketchups, and salsa. They are frozen whole and often dried.
- Tomatoes are used extensively in all cuisines and in a variety of recipes including pasta, soups, and gourmet delicacies. They are certainly a salad staple. Tomato has diverse uses and is consumed in many different forms.
Growing tomatoes could be great fun. It would surely be a fulfilling experience. Nothing could match the sense of achievement one feels while picking the first red and ripe tomato of the season. It’s a moment of pride for you to see your efforts reaping fruits.
Randall Smith is a botanist and a blogger too. He runs a blog where he shares his expertise and experience. His gardening tips are just brilliant. He encourages the concept of growing tomatoes in pots.