The 92st Annual Feast of San Gennaro officially kicks off today. It is more than a festival, though. It is a wonderful part of New York City tradition that for generations has touched the hearts of young and old alike.
The beloved event is an annual festival presented by Figli di San Gennaro (Children of San Gennaro), a not-for-profit community organization dedicated to keeping the spirit and faith of the early Italian immigrants alive. The Feast is New York City’s largest and longest running festivals and attracts more than one-million people from around the world each year, to take part in the religious processions, colorful parades, free musical entertainment, and a wide variety of authentic Italian cuisine. The first Feast in New York City took place on September 19, 1926 when newly arrived immigrants from Naples settled in what is now Little Italy in New York City, and decided to continue the tradition they had followed in Italy to celebrate the day in 305 A.D. when Saint Gennaro was martyred for the faith. Since then, the Feast has grown from a one-day street festival to a gala 11-day event.
Opening Day festivities will include:
- Johnny Mandolin (free pass) 5-7PM
- Blessing of the Stands with Msgr. Cassato @ 6PM
Vic Dibitetto is the Grand Marshal at this year’s Grand Procession on 9/19 @ 2pm, and Gianni Russo to host the 3rd Annual Meatball Eating Contest on 9/22 @1pm, brought you by Alleva.
Be sure to check out all of the sights and sounds for a perfect time with family, friends and loved ones.
- Friday, September 14th – The Happenings + 21st Annual Cannoli Eating Competition 2 PM hosted by Gianni Russo
- Sunday, September 16th – City Rhythm
- Monday, September 17th – Opera Night
- Thursday, September 18th – The Fireflies
- Wednesday, September 19th – The Chicklets
- Thursday, September 20th – Carol Douglas
- Friday, September 21st – Vito and The Elegants
- Saturday, September 22nd – Just Friends + 3rdAnnual Meatball Eating Contest
- Sunday, September 23rd – Jenna Esposito 6 PM
- Saturday, September 15th – The Grand Procession 2 PM
- Wednesday, September 19th – Solemn High Mas Celebrating the Patron Saint of Naples 6 PM
- Saturday, September 22nd – Children’s Program 11AM – 12 PM + Neopolitan Concert at 2 PM
- Sunday, September 23rd – Concert Honoring Joseph Mattone at 1 PM
- Sunday, September 23rd – Annual Feast of San Gennaro Blood Drive with Red Cross 11:30 AM – 6:30 PM