Just like people, dogs need a balanced diet to stay healthy. Every dog owner knows that it is very important to pay special attention to the food that their furry companion is consuming. A wrong diet can result in health issues and excess weight. Luckily, there are so many different kinds of pet food available on the market that will provide the best nutrients. Sites such as top10.today can help you find some great deals online. We must be aware that dogs should not eat most of the foods that we eat, as they can be toxic or cause health issues. For example, chocolate as one of the favorite human foods can be toxic for the dogs. Source
What should you feed your dog? Every dog is individual, and what works for your friend’s dog may not work for yours. Keep in mind that the nutritional needs should be modified according to the life-stage. An inactive senior dog and a young puppy can’t have the same nutritional requirements. Old dogs often have chronic diseases, whose effects can be eased with a special diet. On the other, hand young puppies (less than 12 months old) are active and need energy. Pregnant and nursing dogs will also have special requirements regarding the nutritional intake.
The six basic nutrients for a healthy diet are:
- The dog should have access to clean drinking water anytime.
- Dogs can also use carbohydrates for energy. Their digestive system has the enzymes to digest starches and sugars, and therefore they can convert carbohydrates to energy.
- Vitamins and minerals
How can you know if your dog is having a healthy diet? A nice and shiny fur, strong teeth and solid faeces are the signs of a balanced diet. If you notice a change in your dog’s eating and drinking habits bring it to the vet, as these are the first symptoms of illness.
With having so many different brands available on the market, it is quite hard to make your decision. You might want to check top10.today/dog-food and compare different brands.
Types of dog food
It is up to you to decide if you will buy or cook food for your dog. However, feeding your dog with homemade food does not mean that it should eat the food that you eat. You should cook separately, because some of the food we eat can be unhealthy for the dogs.
These are the types of foods that you can choose from:
- Dry food. This is the most commonly used type of dog food, because of the many advantages it has. First of all, it is economical. You can feed your dog the needed quality nutrition with less money. Also, this type of food is long-lasting and you don’t need to keep it in the fridge. And lastly, it is healthy for the teeth. Chewing crunchy food will remove the buildup from the dog teeth.
- Canned food.Otherwise known as wet food, it has a long shelf life too. But, it can be quite expensive. The high presence of water in canned food means less nutrition content.
- Home cooked. Although this one is quite time-consuming and expensive, you will have a complete control of the dog’s diet . But you need knowledge in order to do so, because you will need to balance the ingredients. It is better to buy food instead of cook, because that way you are sure that your dog will take all of the needed nutrients.
What you should look for when picking out your dog food?
- Look for the “complete and balance” statement. It proves that it contains the minimum amount of the needed nutrients.
- Dogs love treats. The intake of treats should be up to 10% of the daily food intake. Treats will help you train your dog and maintain the oral health as well. Find out which are the top 10 dog treats here today/dog-treats.
- Choose the right type of food according to the age, activity, reproductive status, and diseases. Young puppies and lactating dogs will have higher calorie requirements.
- Same as humans, dogs can experience allergy, sensitive stomach, and different dietary restrictions. Read the labels carefully and consult with your vet too.