Jewelry often winds up a bit of an afterthought at the end of a long evening. The rings and necklace are casually deposited on the dresser or nightstand, sometimes they even wind up being worn to bed. But while it is perhaps understandable, this type of treatment will nonetheless invite damage and shorten the lifespan of your most prized possessions. Here are some tips for looking after your jewellery.
- Wear your jewelry on appropriate occasions only– Wearing your antique ring while gardening or to work on a regular basis is asking for trouble.
- When you are not wearing it, store it correctly– Do not casually deposit your heirloom ring on the dresser among a hundred other items. Instead take the time to return it to its box for safekeeping. Then store that box in a cool dry place.
- Never wear your precious jewelry while swimming– Chlorine will wreak havoc with your ring, bracelet or earrings. Always leave them home when you head to the pool or spa.
- Never wear jewelry to bed– Some nights it will be tempting to just lay down and deal with it later but try and resist that temptation. Taking your jewellery off and storing it away properly will help ensure its longevity.
- Have your jewelry professionally cleaned– At least once a year have your fine jewellery cleaned by a professional. They will be able to spot any troublesome developments and take corrective action.
- Inspect your jewelry yourself– Take the time every couple of months to inspect the pieces you have been wearing of late. Take a close look at the claws holding your precious and semi-precious stones in place as they can loosen over time. If you notice any problems have them addressed immediately.
You can find jewellers online who will offer you advice on such matters. Berganza.com understand the importance of caring for fine jewellery.