Are you tired of trying all the big and little secrets to treat acne scars? Here are some sure-shot ways to deal with them for better results.
Acne breakouts are disappointing. Each time you see that new zit popping up on your face, it can trigger a series of very frustrating emotions. Even worse are the scars that they leave. Sometimes, even after trying all kinds of home remedies passed on to us by neighbours, well-wishers, grandma, and everyone else, we still stand in front of the mirror staring at those scars. Is there hope? There sure is! However, before we get into the treatment to remove acne scars, let’s get some information into our arsenal, so we are equipped to handle them better.
Types of Acne Scars:
Dermatologists classify acne into the following categories based on their type and severity.
For proper identification and treatment, dermatologists categorise scars as ice-pick scars, rolling scars, boxcar scars, atrophic and hypertrophic scars.
Ice pick scars appear narrow, deep and pitted, whereas, rolling scars are broad and depressed with slanting edges. Boxcar scars are also broad and have sharp edges. On the other hand, atrophic scars are flat, thin, and depressed scars, and hypertrophic scars are lumpy and thick. Whatever be the type of scar, there is always a treatment available.
The first line of treatment should always be to try some home remedies to see if they help diminish the scars. Here are some popular ones due to their antimicrobial and anti-bacterial properties:
- Orange Peel Powder: Mix 1 teaspoon of orange peel powder with one teaspoon honey. Make a thick paste and apply on the affected area. Rinse it off when it dries.
- Coconut Oil: Warm the oil a little bit between your palms and apply it over the scars. Leave it overnight and wash the next morning. Just be careful not to use it if you have oily skin.
- Tea tree oil: Mix 2-3 drops of tea tree oil with a base oil of your choice and apply. Leave it for an hour and then wash it off.
- Aloe Vera gel: Extract the gel from the leaves and apply it over your scars. Leave them overnight and then wash for best results.
- Lemon Juice: This is one of the most straightforward techniques. Just dab juice of ½ a lemon on the scars, leave it on for ten minutes and then rinse thoroughly. Applying 3-4 times a week can be super useful. People with dry skin should avoid it as lemon can further dry the skin.
- Green Tea: Make a face pack using moist green tea leaves and honey. Leave it on for fifteen minutes and rinse thoroughly.
- Turmeric: Mix a teaspoon of turmeric with juice from 1 lemon to make a paste.
- Potato Juice: Use a cotton ball to apply potato juice all over the affected area. Leave it on for ten minutes before washing it off.
- Cocoa Butter: Warm up a tablespoon of cocoa butter between your palms and apply on the scars. Leave it overnight and wash it off the next morning. Repeat this daily until you see clear skin.
- Vitamin Supplements: Taking vitamin supplements can help in taking care of any intrinsic factors causing the acne breakouts.
Do home remedies work? In which condition are home remedies useful?
Ans: While all the above home remedies have their place when treating acne scars, sometimes, the situation could go beyond these regular treatments. Home remedies are often useful for a fresh scar and not for injuries that are old and deep.
If you have tried everything and you didn’t notice any visible improvement in your skin texture, it’s time to visit a dermatologist. An expert dermatologist will examine your scar to ascertain the best line of treatment.
Medical Treatments: (Introduction, Mention Different Treatment Methods, Briefly explain each treatment methods)
Gone are the days when people made peace with their scars and accepted that they could never have clear skin. And, thanks to medical advancements, for many treatments to deal with acne scars are available. If you are struggling to get rid of your scars, it’s time to visit a professional. They will be able to assess your skin and scar type to suggest one or a combination of the following treatments:
Microdermabrasion: It is a non-invasive procedure used to refresh the top layers of skin to reveal a firmer and brighter skin. It has virtually no downtime or side effects and considered very useful to get rid of acne scars.
Pixel Laser Resurfacing: Pixel Laser Resurfacing is a relatively painless procedure and proven to promote collagen production that reduces the visibility of almost all types of scars and lines.
Chemical Peels: As the top layer of the skin begins to peel off within 4-5 days of the treatment, it reveals a bright, flawless skin from underneath.
Micro-needling: This process uses low-frequency radio waves to stimulate the cells in the connective tissues under the skin. It also destroys scar tissues while leaving the surrounding skin unaffected.
Subcision: This treatment especially helps in reducing the depth of scar with the help of specially made needles.
Dermal Fillers: If you are looking for a quick fix, then this is the best option. It’s a lunch hour procedure wherein the dermatologists fill the scars with hyaluronic acid, a natural substance. These stay in place for 6-8 months and slowly get digested by the body.
Scar Excision: As an effective treatment for deep scars, this process involves using a small pen-sized punch to remove the injury altogether.
Intralesional Injections: In case of raised bumpy scars, doctors use precise injections to stop them from growing in size and flatten them. Frequently repeating these injections can achieve the desired results.
All of the above treatment methods are very useful when it comes to dealing with acne scars. Make sure to consult a dermatologist before trying anything. Sometimes, these treatments may cause mild swelling, redness, or peeling of the skin. But that can be easily managed with the post-care treatment instructions that the dermatologist will share with you. Often, they use topical anti-bacterial creams, sunscreen lotions or moisturisers. Other than that, these treatments are entirely safe. But remember, there is no magic. Any treatment would take roughly 4-6 sessions over 1-2 months to see definite results.
Summary: So there you go, you have all the information you need to get rid of acne scars, and flaunt that bright, beautiful skin once again.