2020 is a year of the Rat, starting from January 25th, 2020 and lasting until February 11th, 2021. It will be a Metal Rat year.
The Year of the Rat is the first zodiac sign in the Chinese zodiac cycle. According to the Chinese zodiac story, in the competition held by the Jade Emperor to decide the zodiac animals, the quick-witted rat asked the diligent ox to take him on a ride to cross the river and jumped down before the ox crossed the finish line, so the rat won the race and became the first of the zodiac animals.
In celebration of Lunar New Year, for the second year in a row, The East Midtown Partnership is teaming up with the Madison Avenue Business Improvement District to install wishing trees in the district!
From February 1st -Saturday February 10th the participating districts will supply their retailers along Madison Avenue with wishing tags to provide to customers, so they can add their well wishes for the year to come to the nearest tree. Locations will include:
- 2 trees on the west side of 3rd between 54th to 55th
- 2 trees on the east side of 3rd between 54th and 55th
- 2 trees on the east side of 3rd between 57th and 58th (they are just north of the NE corner of 57th and 3rd)
- 2 trees on east side of 3rd between 58th and 59th (they are just south of the SE corner of 59th and 3rd)
- 2 trees on the east side of 3rd between 59th and 60th
Since ancient times, hanging wishes on trees for the New Year is synonymous with luck and good fortune, and is believed to encourage dreams to come true! These bright and colorful trees decorated with lanterns and ribbons will be along 3rd Avenue between 55th Street and 60th Street in East Midtown. Visitors and shoppers will then be able to add their own wishes for the new year.