“The Sandman,” Netflix’s new series, based on Neil Gaiman’s award-winning comic books, adapted by Gaiman, David S. Goyer and Allan Heinberg, premiered Friday, August 5. The show asks the question about how important are our dreams and nightmares?
Here we learn the tale of Dream ( the haunting and fabulous Tom Sturridge). Dream is also known by Morpheus, Master of Dreams and The Sandman. He is one of the seven beings known as The Endless. The other six are Death (Kirby Howell-Baptiste), Desire (Mason Alexander Park), Destiny also Dr. John Dee (David Thewlis), Despair (Donna Preston), Destruction and Delirium. We do not meet the last of these in year 1.
In episode 1, Dream states that mortals insist on calling the waking world the real world, yet more than half of their existence is spent dreaming and he is in charge of keeping it in order. Dream not only creates, but controls both dreams and nightmares. With that being said, Roderick Burgess (Charles Dance), a wealthy man who is on the same level as Alistair Crawley, seeks to conquer Death and force her to bring his dead son back to life. The spell goes awry and instead of death he gets Dream. Dream stays silent for a century when Roderick imprisons him. The Corinthian (Boyd Holbrook), a nightmare who wants free reign, helps to keep him there. Since there is balance in the world the consequence is a sleeping sickness which effects many around the world.
As the episodes continue we meet Lucienne (Vivienne Acheampong), Lucifer (Gwendoline Christie), Constantine (Jenna Coleman), Ethel Cripps (Joely Richardson), Dr. John Dee (David Thewlis), Matthew the Raven (Patton Oswalt), Cain and Abel (Sanjeev Bhaskar and Asim Chaudhry), Lyta Hall (Razane Jammal), Merv Pumpkinhead (Mark Hamill), Hal Carter (John Cameron Mitchell) and Rose Walker (Vanesu Samunyai), who is a game changer.
As we learn who this ambiguous Lord is, in a sense so does he. As we all do, Morpheus has a role to play. He cautions Hob Gadling (Ferdinand Kingsley),a man who gets to live forever, that the slave trade is imprisonment and to stay clear, yet punishes a nightmare (Ann Ogbomo) for wanting to change. He seeks as we all do the meaning and reason for existence. The best episode is episode 6 “The Sound of Her Wings,” Morpheus is visited by his sister, Death. He accompanies her as she escorts the deceased to the afterlife. Death attempts to show Morpheus the possibility of finding purpose and fulfillment in his duties as ruler of the Dreaming. We also see how Morpheus meets Hob Gadling. Hob and Morpheus meet every 100 years as Hob insists he still does not wish for death. Hob states they meet because Morpheus, is lonely and friendless, which offends him. Due to Morpheus’s capture by Burgess, he was unable to attend his regular meeting with Hob. When their usual location is sold, Hob chooses a new tavern a block away, hoping that Morpheus will find him. The two reunite and Morpheus declares they are friends.
Many want Morpheus gone and out of their way. Not one of his family rescued him when he was imprisoned and abandoned.
Expect a lot of gender bending, fluid relationships as Gaiman has expressed his desire to make this show as inclusive as possible.
There is terrific acting and a storyline that is compelling. Each episode made me want to watch the next so that I watched all 10 in one sitting.
“The Sandman” season 1 premiered Friday, August 5 on Netflix.
Star Wars Fans In NYC Got An Advance Viewing of Ahsoka
Disney’s new series Ahsoka, is a Star Wars spin-off from the series The Mandalorian. Taking place in the Samoa the animated series Star Wars Rebels. The series follows Ahsoka Tano as she investigates an emerging threat to the galaxy following the fall of the Empire.
Rosario Dawson stars as Ahsoka Tano, reprising her role from The Mandalorian. The character was originally created for the animated series Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Ahsoka, made her live-action debut in the second season of The Mandalorian. Lars Mikkelsen reprises his Rebels role of Grand Admiral Thrawn.
Ahsoka is scheduled to premiere on August 22, 2023, with two episodes. It will consist of eight episodes, and is scheduled to conclude on October 3.
Star Wars fans got a sneak preview in Times Square Thursday night.
Meet Ernie Anastos A Man With A Positive Outlook
Ernie Anastos is a legendary New York Emmy Award winning television news journalist. He is the celebrated host and creator of “Positively America,” a nationally syndicated show and a popular talk show host in New York on 77 WABC, America’s premier talk format radio station. His programs are designed to inform, educate, entertain and inspire viewers with interviews and positive news you can use. Ernie’s amazing career spansseveral decades as a leading anchor at WABC-TV, WCBS-TV and WNYW-TV in the most diverse city in America. He is also the distinguished author of inspiring books for young readers.
In 2020, Ernie enrolled at Harvard Business School to focus on a leadership and management strategy curriculum to further his extensive communications background and credentials. This educational program has contributed to his role as a leader and influential voice in the world of media and entertainment. Successfully completing all courses in 2021 he was also chosen for a specialized distinction award.
As a creative entrepreneur, Ernie has top professional management experience in multiple media platforms. They include; broadcast ownership of FM and AM radio stations in New York and New England and president of his own television production company. He has also performed on-camera roles in many popular Hollywood motion pictures.
A dynamic New York Hall of Fame Broadcaster, Ernie has an extraordinary record of achievement. He has won more than 30 Emmy awards and nominations and received the prestigious Lifetime Emmy Award, the highest honor given for his outstanding and personal accomplishments in the television industry. Nationally, he has substitute hosted ABC’s Good Morning America and CBS This Morning.
Respected by New Yorkers and his colleagues, Ernie has covered major stories that shaped several decades, including the 9/11 World Trade Center attacks and the 2020 Coronavirus pandemic. From inside Cuba he reported on Fidel Castro’s reign and interviewed other world leaders including; Presidents Jimmy Carter, George Bush and Bill Clinton, Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev and South African Bishop Desmond Tutu.
A Phi Kappa Phi honoree, he graduated Summa Cum Laude from Northeastern University with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Sociology. He holds Honorary Doctorate degrees from Marist College, New York Institute of Technology, Manhattanville College, Curry College and Sacred Heart University. He is also profiled in national registers which include, The International Who’s Who of Intellectuals.
EMMY AWARDS AND NOMINATIONS
- Lifetime Emmy Award: Honored for Highest Professional Achievements
- Host/Producer Original TV Series: Positively Ernie, WNYW-TV
- Outstanding Single Newscast at 10, WNYW-TV
- Anchor Outstanding Single Newscast: London Bombings, WNYW-TV
- Reporter Outstanding News Story: Heart Stop Teen, WNYW-TV
- Anchor Outstanding Coverage: The World Trade Center Bombing, WCBS-TV
- Excellence in Writing: 9-11 Firefighters, The Edward R. Murrow Award, WCBS-TV
- Anchor Single Breaking News Story: New York City Blackout, WCBS-TV
- Anchor Outstanding Single Newscasts: City Hall Shooting – Ready for War, WCBS-TV
- Anchor Outstanding Single Newscast at 11: 9-11-02 Anniversary, WCBS-TV
- Anchor Transit Strike Team Coverage: WCBS-TV
- Anchor Outstanding News Special: The Rodney King Verdict, WCBS-TV
- Anchor Outstanding Single Newscast: Channel 2 News at 11, WCBS-TV
- Anchor Coverage of a Single Breaking Story: Flight of 5050 Crash, WCBS-TV
- Reporter Outstanding Program: Uptown, Downtown, WCBS-TV
- Anchor Outstanding Single Newscast: Puff Daddy Not Guilty, WCBS-TV
- Anchor Outstanding News Special: Hurricane Hugo, WCBS-TV
- Anchor Outstanding Single Newscast: Channel 2 News at 5, WCBS-TV
- Anchor Outstanding Documentary: Alcohol in Best Neighborhoods, WABC-TV
- Anchor Special Coverage: Liberty Weekend, WABC-TV
- Reporter Outstanding News Special: Death of John Lennon, WABC-TV
- Anchor Outstanding News Special: Freedom of the Press, WABC-TV
- Reporter Outstanding Special Report: The Poison Water, WABC-TV
- Reporter-Anchor Outstanding News Special: Hurricane Gloria, WABC-TV
- Anchor Outstanding Newscast: Eyewitness News at 11, WABC-TV
- Reporter Single Breaking News Story: Death of Nelson Rockefeller, WABC-TV
- Reporter-Anchor Outstanding Live Coverage: Women’s Games, WABC-TV
- Anchor Outstanding Single Newscast: The News at 10, WWOR-TV
- Reporter-Anchor News Special: Presidential Inauguration, WWOR-TV
- Reporter-Anchor Outstanding News Special: Caring for Your Parents, WWOR-TV
- Reporter-An American Journey: WWOR-TV
- Reporter-Celebrating His Life: WWOR-TV
- Reporter-Outstanding Continuing Coverage: Death of JFK, Jr., WWOR-TVSPECIAL HONORS
- Ellis Island Medal of Honor Recipient
- New Yorker of the Year Manhattan Chamber of Commerce
- Inducted Hall of Fame New York State Broadcasters Association
- Anchorman of the Year National Broadcasting Society
- National Father of the Year Award
- New York City Police Honor Legion Recognition
- U.S. Marine Corps Honorary Service Award
- Puerto Rican Family Institute Honoree
- Member Inner Circle Organization of New York
- New York Fair Media Council Honoree
- Event Host The Bowery Mission, Juvenile Diabetes Foundation, Variety Children’s Charity
- St. Francis Food Pantries and Shelters Outstanding Award
- Distinguished Citizen New York Medical Society
Look for our interview with Ernie in the coming week.
Jamie deRoy & friends’ TV Show Announces Special Tribute to Sheldon Harnick
On Monday, August 7 at 8:00 p.m. on Spectrum HD Channel 1993 and Verizon FIOS Channel 37 show business tour de force and 12-time Tony Award-winning producer Jamie deRoy’s long standing TV show aptly titled Jamie deRoy & friends, telecast will honor legendary lyricist, Sheldon Harnick, who passed away on June 23, 2023 at age 99.
deRoy, along with co-host Barry Kleinbort intertwine archival footage, anecdotes and special performances by Christiane Noll, Bonnie Langford, Kleinbort, and deRoy’s interview with Sheldon Harnick, from a 2010 Primary Stages evening at 59E59. Musical Direction by Paul Greenwood.
Song selections include:
Christiane Noll – “When Did I Fall in Love?” (Fiorello)
Barry Kleinbort – “Annatevka” (Fiddler on the Roof)
Bonnie Langford – “Sunrise, Sunset” (Fiddler on the Roof)
Music by Jerry Bock and Lyrics by Sheldon Harnick
The Jamie deRoy & friends Variety Show has been on the air for over 30 years. The program airs every other Monday at 8:00pm on the Manhattan Neighborhood Network (Spectrum HD Channel 1993 and Verizon FIOS Channel 37). The show is directed by Barry Kleinbort, and produced by Russell Bouthiller.
Live From Times Square Wonderama
Wonderama is back, filming live from Times Square. Host Emmy nominee David Osmond and his and co-hosts Coco and Breezy Dotson are back with Burke Brickner, Lady Dragons, Kelvin Dukes, Qbone, Brooklyn Queen, Dr. Bernice A. King, Arizona Lindsey and Felipe Salines to liven up the Big Apple.
The beloved classic television show is bigger than ever in an unprecedented collaboration with the Times Square Alliance, the iconic program will stage a grand live production in the heart of New York City at Duffy Square and feature their larger than life Wonderwall on the screens of One Times Square, home to the famous New Year’s Eve Ball Drop.
The show record 26 exciting new episodes for Wonderama’s 2023-2024 television season.
Executive Producer Chuck Armstrong praised the high-caliber talent set to grace the show this season, stating, “The talent this year is absolutely amazing. We’re thrilled to bring some of the hottest new bands to our stage, including New York rockers Platinum Moon, South African sensation Stefan Benz, and the incomparable Sophia Angelica.”
This new season promises to deliver a dynamic fusion of cultures, showcasing a variety of musical styles in one of the world’s most visited locations.
Wonderama has long been celebrated for its ability to bring joy and entertainment to families across America. This season’s unique combination of talent, location, and live performances further solidifies its position as a leader in the television entertainment industry.
The taping will be
If you would like to be a part of the show for the new season of Wonderama you must be
between the ages of 8 and 15 and click here.
Wonderama is a time-honored television show renowned for delivering top- tier family entertainment. With a focus on showcasing diverse talent and fostering family fun, Wonderama has long held a cherished place in American hearts. After a successful re-launch, the show continues to grow in popularity, bringing joy and entertainment to a new generation of families in over 90 million households each week.
Stratford’s @Home Arrives On Streaming Platforms
MEDIA RELEASE: Stratfest@Home launches on Apple, Android, Amazon, and Roku
June 26, 2023… The magical power of the Stratford Festival has arrived on the world’s most-watched streaming platforms including iOS/tvOS and Apple TV, Android/Android TV, Amazon Fire TV, and Roku. With the new Stratfest@Home applications, audiences can enjoy award-winning stage productions, exclusive behind-the-scenes content, audio plays, and original programming on their favourite devices.
In addition to launching six new applications and a re-imagined web version of Stratfest@Home, we are also welcoming back high-demand titles and an exciting library of new releases. Also, The Miser joins 1939, All’s Well That Ends Well, Death and the King’s Horseman, and Hamlet on the long list of filmed performances to be released via the Stratford Festival’s streaming platform, Stratfest@Home.
- Serving Elizabeth (2021)
- Twelfth Night (2012)
- The Tempest (2010)
- Caesar and Cleopatra (2009)
New to Stratfest@Home:
- RIOT (World Première) – Filmed stage performance by Andrew Moodie Productions
- URSA – A Folk Musical by The Uncommon Folk Collective
- BOUND (Coming Soon) – A Handel Opera Hybrid by Against the Grain Theatre
- Julie et l’univers (Coming Soon) – A Dance Feature by Citadel + Compagnie
- Identity (Coming Soon) – A Song Cycle by Against the Grain Theatre
- Beware, Beware, My Beauty Fair – A documentary by the National Film Board of Canada
- CBC films of our 1970s and 1980s Stratford Festival productions!
Timed to the launch of the new Stratfest@Home, is the Stratford Festival’s first original podcast: Director’s Notes. The season’s directors share their artistic vision and talk about the work that goes into the creation of each production – the perfect pre-show warmup followed by post-show reflection. Director’s Notes is available on Stratfest@Home, Apple Podcasts, and Spotify.
Subscriptions to the new Stratfest@Home are just $7.99 a month and give one access to the best in Canadian digital theatrical productions, including the Stratford Festival’s acclaimed Shakespeare films, selected productions from our past seasons, exclusive behind-the-scenes videos and podcasts, and original, award-winning digital content from around the world.
The Glorious Corner
White Wine for Summer Send Off
How to Get Your Fall Fabulous Face with Masktini
Romantic and Meaningful Love Quotes For Her To Help Win Her Heart
How to Take Advantage of Virtual Numbers for SMS
Entre Institute Review – Is Jeff Lerner’s Program a Scam?
Off Broadway4 days ago
Off-Broadway’s Muddy and Flat “Pay the Writer”
Events4 days ago
Dîner en Blanc Returns to New York City in Epic Fashion
Out of Town3 days ago
The Master Plan Unravels Brilliantly and Hilariously at Crow’s Theatre Toronto
Events1 day ago
A Fun Night at Dave and Buster’s 42nd Street
Out of Town3 days ago
Opening Night Beautiful: The Carole King Musical
Entertainment1 day ago
Beatles Brunch at City Winery Where Strawberry Fields Lives Forever
Events4 days ago
Delmonico’s Revival Honored with Star-Studded Ribbon Cutting Ceremony
Broadway1 day ago
Theatre News: Wicked, The Wiz, Hypnotique, Female Troubles and Love In The Time Of Crazy