Patsy’s Italian Restaurant at 236 W 56th Street was nestled into the heart of the theater district. Old world charm radiated as you are served by waiters in white jackets trimmed with gold braid, who held out your chair for you. Sal, Patsy’s grandson and the current chef, personally introduces himself to each table. Patsy’s Italian Restaurant has been a traditional, family-owned and operated Italian restaurant since 1944, hosting such regulars as Frank Sinatra, Placido Domingo, Alec Baldwin, Tom Hanks, Madonna, George Clooney, Oprah Winfrey, Tony Bennett, Robert DeNiro, Liza Minnelli, and so many others.
Now this popular eatery has been closed, after the city Health Department gave them a a total of 58 violation points. On Wednesday an inspection turned up multiple unsanitary conditions, according to inspection records.
What Patsy’s was sited was the following according to Patch.com
- Food worker does not use proper utensil to eliminate bare hand contact with food that will not receive adequate additional heat treatment.
- Food, food preparation area, food storage area, area used by employees or patrons, contaminated by sewage or liquid waste.
- Filth flies or food/refuse/sewage-associated (FRSA) flies present in facility’s food and/or non-food areas. Filth flies include house flies, little house flies, blow flies, bottle flies and flesh flies. Food/refuse/sewage-associated flies include fruit flies, drain flies and Phorid flies.
- Food not protected from potential source of contamination during storage, preparation, transportation, display or service.
- Facility not vermin proof. Harborage or conditions conducive to attracting vermin to the premises and/or allowing vermin to exist.
- Plumbing not properly installed or maintained; anti-siphonage or backflow prevention device not provided where required; equipment or floor not properly drained; sewage disposal system in disrepair or not functioning properly.
Patsy’s scored 53 violation points on an October 2017 inspection — mostly for evidence of live mice and filth flies.
Patch.com, first reported this, but in doing research I found this from Trip Adviser, but it makes no sense. She reviewed this yesterday stating she went for her yearly trip to the Rockefeller Tree and the tree doesn’t go up until November 11th. Patch.com had not put up their article until 13 hours ago. Nobody knew. How did she? Also in doing research, Colleen C is the only person who has written a bad or poor review on Patsy’s. Could this person have something to do with this?
Despite this I stand with Patsy’s and hope they re-open.