Bars have always been one of the best places to have a drink and enjoy a night out. More than that, though, it’s also where relationships are formed and forged through a mutual bond.
If you’re an avid traveler, going to these social spots can give you a better sense of that town or city’s way of living. On the other hand, if you’re a local in Minneapolis, you definitely have a favorite place to visit when you need a temporary escape from the cares of life.
Here are some common reasons why people go to bars:
1. Relieve Stress
Going out for a drink is one way to alleviate the pressure that you feel at home or in the office. As mentioned above, bars can provide a temporary escape from the responsibilities that you have to face tomorrow.
Sometimes, you just need to get away from it all. However, you don’t always have the liberty to pack your bags and leave for a camping or hiking adventure spontaneously. As an alternative, you can go to the best bars in Minneapolis to relax and unwind.
2. Enjoy a Night Out
While the idea of bingeing on your favorite TV show or movie has a lot of merit, you may want to swap one or two weekend nights a month in favor of going to a bar. One night out every fortnight can serve to break your routine and refresh your mind from your typical routine.
If you’re in the Minnesota area, you can find the best bars in Minneapolis as well as within its twin city, St. Paul. No matter where you go, you can benefit from spending your Friday or Saturday night at a bar to take a break from your home and office route.
However, if you’re planning on going solo, practice these safety tips to ensure a worry-free night out:
- Inform a Reliable Friend – Let someone you trust know your plans for the night. Confirm that you’ll check in with them once you’ve arrived home; notify them that something may be wrong when you don’t call or text them after the agreed time.
- Plan Your Itinerary – Think about how you’re getting to the bar and how you’ll go home afterward. You can always take public transit, but other towns and cities don’t have 24-hour subways or buses. If you need to take a taxi, make sure it’s licensed. You also have the option to book on ridesharing apps for better documentation and tracking.
- Leave Your Bag at Home – Bring the least possible number of items with you. Lugging around a massive purse can make you a target for theft, which can significantly dampen the mood of your night out.
- Stash Emergency Cash – You can make the most of your money accessible for quick payments. However, be prudent and keep a few bills in secret places that only you know, like in your shoe, bra, or the inner pocket of a blazer.
- Be Mindful of Your Drink – It’s a known fact that you shouldn’t accept drinks from strangers because they might’ve spiked it with drugs. Additionally, you should also be mindful of your own drink and avoid getting distracted since someone may slip something into your beverage.
- Avoid Getting Drunk – It’s also crucial that you go home sober, especially on a solo night out. Prepare for the evening by getting ample rest. You can drink a few glasses, but know your limits and avoid going over them.
3. Celebrate with Friends
Bars are ideal places for parties. Here, you and your workmates or friends can celebrate a promotion or an engagement with a few rounds of drinks. Moreover, the milestone is made even more special if you’re friends with the bartender and others who work in the bar.
Similar to going on a solo night out, you should also be mindful of these tips on how to keep the evening fun and safe:
- Stay with the Group – Staying with the people you came to the bar with shows respect. Sure, you can meet new people, but, at the very least, inform your workmates or friends if you plan on leaving with a virtual stranger for the rest of the evening.
- Have a Designated Driver – The best thing about going with a group is that you can rely on someone for a lift. Make sure that the designated driver is okay with staying sober as everyone parties on. If not, then it may be better to ride a cab.
- Maintain the Peace – It can be very easy for fights to escalate in bars, especially late in the night when inhibitions have long faded in the background. Keep your wits about you and be a peacemaker in case your friends irk someone from the other table.
4. Meet New People
If you’re looking for a place to find new friends or just someone to flirt with for the night, you can definitely discover fresh faces in your local bar. With the hustle and bustle of large cities, like Minneapolis or St. Paul, it can be challenging to meet singles who share similar interests.
Fortunately, getting to know new people is made more accessible and straightforward in bars. It doesn’t even need to be for romantic purposes. You can widen your network and establish connections with strangers who may become your next customer or promoter.
There are three types of friendships:
- Acquaintances – These people are in your outermost circle of influence. You only become friends with them because you see them at school or at work. Otherwise, you wouldn’t have established a connection with them. You don’t frequently speak with this type of friend.
- Regular Friends – This one is the social group you go with on occasion, especially when you’re in the mood to party. These are the people in your school or office whose company you enjoy. You can talk to them about random topics, but typically not with serious subjects.
- Best Friends – Your best buddies are the people with whom you can talk to about anything, from the issues that you’re going through to the memes that you find hilarious. It doesn’t necessarily mean that you meet with them daily. However, you can trust that they’ll come running when you need them.
In meeting new friends, a stranger may start off as a casual encounter, someone whose presence in the same bar as you appears to be coincidental. But, as your discussion deepens, you may be surprised to find that they have the potential to become a close friend or even a lover and that their presence may have been destined by fate.
5. Have Conversations
The primary advantage that bars have over clubs is that you can actually have a decent conversation in bars. You can hear each other without straining your vocal cords, unlike in night clubs where the booming bass and thunderous drums drown your discussions.
Going to the bar is an excellent place to find someone to talk to. If you go on nights that aren’t busy, you can even make friends with the bartender and keep them company as they go about their work.
Conversations in Minneapolis bars are interesting because beer and liquor decrease the tension that comes with making a good impression. With this type of exchange, you can expect sincerity and pure intentions. While there’s no harm in talking with new people, it’s still wise to hold back a bit of reservation because the other person is still technically a stranger.
6. Be Social Without Feeling Pressured to Talk
Sometimes, you just want to get out of the house. But, at the same time, you don’t want to talk to anyone, and that’s alright. There are days when you want to be with the presence of other people without having to carry a conversation.
Bars are perfect for these moments in your life. You can just sit by the bar counter and enjoy your drink while observing others in the vicinity or contemplating existential questions.
Of course, remember to decline politely when someone approaches you and tries to talk. They may just be looking for company, albeit one that you can’t provide.
7. Know the Latest News
Local bars, especially in Minneapolis, are renowned for being places where you can find the latest news in the community. While it’s never a good thing to engage in malicious gossip, ones that are a cause for celebrations are most welcome.
It’s beneficial for you to go to the pub once in a while to keep yourself updated. Moreover, you can even send your best regards personally to the guy who’s about to get married or the couple who are expecting their first baby if they’re there to celebrate, too.
8. Play Games
Aside from drinking, you can take up socializing to another level by competing in sports with other bar regulars. Most bars have a pool table where you can enjoy a game or two with your friends. Additionally, you can set up friendly bets to ramp up the fun.
Darts is also a game that you can commonly find in bars. The sport’s peripherals are easy to install, which may be the reason why it’s a standard feature in social spots.
If you’re planning to play darts with your friends or compete with others, here are some game variations you should know about:
- Cricket – Two people or two teams can play this game. The primary goal of dart cricket is to own as many of the numbers from 15 to 20 as well as the bull’s eye and to score three of a number. Each player or team take turns throwing the darts.
- ’01 Games – With this variation, any number of players can participate. Each player starts with 301 points, and the objective is to reach zero by deducting the number they hit on the board per turn.
- Killer – This game is best played by three or more players. Each player gets three lives and selects a number by hitting the board using the hand that they least favor. For the first round, players hit the double of their number, which makes them a killer. After this, you should aim for the double of your opponents’ numbers. The winner is the last person standing.
- Shanghai – This variation is ideal for groups with several people. The numbers used for the game are from one to seven. Players are required to throw darts at the numbers in sequence and try to acquire as many points for each turn.
- Legs – Many players can also join in this version. All numbers on the board are used, with the focus being on 19 and 20. Participants determine the order of play and proceed to get the highest score, which is set by the first player. Each one receives three lives as well.
9. Listen to Music
Bars often invite singers and bands to showcase their musical talents on nights where there are lots of patrons. You can listen to their songs and allow the music to take you into a world where you don’t have to worry about your problems for a little while.
It’s also an ideal way to find aspiring Minneapolis artists and support their craft. Help them make a living with their passion by sharing their songs on social media and following them on Spotify or other platforms, especially when you enjoy the music they produce.
Whether you’re a local or just visiting Minneapolis, you should definitely plan a visit to a nearby bar. It’s a place where you can relieve the week’s stress and take a break from your usual home-office routine.
It’s an ideal spot for celebrating milestones with your friends or to just simply catch up with each other amidst the hustle and bustle of life. You can even meet new people or be with others without feeling obliged to make conversations.
Local bars are also places where you can stay updated on the happenings within the community. Lastly, if you just want a fun night with friendly competition, you can play games with your friends or other regulars as well as listen to music by aspiring artists in your area.