Insect bites and stings are quite common anywhere in the world. Most of these cases aren’t serious and they tend to get better within a short timeframe. However, there are some instances when simple insect stings can result in infection or deadly allergic infections. Find out what may happen when you get stung by insects such as wasps and how you should deal with it.
Prevention and precautions
Before you or your family members get stung by a wasp, you must call a professional exterminator service if you suspect wasp infestation in your property. This type of insect mostly lives in gardens, meadows, woodlands and orchards. However, some build their nests inside tool sheds and even inside the house.
You can check aman pest control to find out how professionals deal with wasp infestations. Pest exterminators make use of chemicals and other pest control methods to get rid of wasps.
What happens when a wasp stings you?
When wasps sting people, they inject venom into the skin. The venom contains poisonous components that can cause both major and minor body injuries. You can easily spot the affected area because of redness and inflammation. Most of the time, the redness and swelling last for weeks.
Besides the injury, wasp stings can also trigger an allergic reaction. This is quite common among people with compromised immune systems or those who have high sensitivity to allergens. Their bodies overreact to the wasp venom, triggering a severe allergic reaction that can spread to the whole body.
What to do when you get stung?
If you or your loved one gets stung by a wasp, you should immediately attend to the affected area. Check if the tick or sting is still attached to the skin. After removing it, wash the skin with water and soap or other cleaning solution. Then, elevate the affected area and apply a cold compress on it. By doing so, you can help minimise swelling around the stung area.
Normally, you won’t need to seek emergency care when you go to the hospital. However, there are some cases where you may need to do so. For example, if the symptoms do not improve after a couple of days or if they worsen. You should also seek medical attention if you notice signs of infection such as increasing redness, pus, and extreme pain.
Take note that you should also head to the nearest hospital if you get stung on the mouth, throat or eyes. Contact your primary healthcare provider to have your condition assessed right away.
Insect bites or stings can indeed cause you to worry a lot especially if you have high sensitivity to allergens and insect venoms. Fortunately, there are ways you can avoid getting stung by wasps. If you suffer from a sting, you don’t need to panic. Check the affected area so you can assess whether you need medical attention or not. Don’t hesitate to seek medical assistance if you exhibit symptoms of anaphylactic shock.