The Shih Tzu is a popular toy dog breed that’s well-loved for its cuteness. This small dog only weighs up to 19 pounds when it becomes mature. The Shih Tzu comes with a smooth coat, fur-covered drop ears, large dark eyes, and a heavily furred tail. If you’re planning to adopt a Shih Tzu, learn more about this dog breed on shih tzu center.
Being cute isn’t the only thing that owners love about the Shih Tzu. It comes with many qualities that many families adore. Read on for more reasons why you should bring a Shih Tzu home.
A Gentle Companion
The Shih Tzu is a dog known for its gentle temperament. Like other dogs, this dog is also a loyal companion. While this dog breed is usually friendly with strangers and kids, it’s a better idea to socialize a Shih Tzu early in life to make them more accepting of babies and younger children.
Needs Minimal Physical Activity
Unlike big dogs, a Shih Tzu doesn’t need plenty of exercise to let out their energy. In fact, a short walk around the house is enough exercise for them as they can easily get tired. If you’re a busy person who needs a furry companion, the Shih Tzu is an ideal choice.
Perfect Even for New Dog Owners
A Shih Tzu can adapt smoothly into new surroundings. This is why your family will surely love dogs of this breed. Even families who have no experience with dogs will find the Shih Tzu easy to warm up.
If you have kids in the family, you’ll find a Shih Tzu is a wonderful companion because of its gentle nature. Shih Tzus is also outgoing, alert, loving, and friendly. You’ll surely find them irresistible. This dog doesn’t bark as much as other toy dog breeds. While others are anxious and bark at everyone, a Shih Tzu usually only barks when it needs attention.
Since a Shih Tzu is less active and smaller than other dogs, they consume less food. This simply translates to the idea that it will cost less for you to maintain a dog of this breed when it comes to dog food.
Helps you live a healthier life
Having a pet in general comes with various health benefits for young and old people alike. Owning a pet is believed to provide various mental health benefits too. Here are some health benefits of having a Shih Tzu in the family.
- Relaxing effect. Owning a pet Shih Tzu can offer a relaxing and comforting effect that’s great for people who have hypertension. Short walks with your dog around your house or yard will help in your heart health. Thus, a Shih Tzu is not only a great addition to families with kids as it is also beneficial for older members of the family.
- Helps lower cholesterol and blood pressure levels. Pet dogs have a comforting effect on its owners, which can help lower blood pressure. Dog owners have been linked to lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels than those who don’t own a pet dog.
- Helps in keeping you alert. Regular walks with your dog can provide you the needed exercise without you feeling tired about it. Studies suggest that dog owners who regularly walk their pets get more exercise than those who don’t have pet dogs. Pet dog owners are also expected to reach the health standards for regular exercise. Exercising, as you may know, can help improve your bone health, flexibility, muscles, and lungs. Even if these dogs don’t need plenty of exercise doesn’t mean that you can’t be active with them.
- Alleviates depression. Feeling lonely is common among the elderly or single people, which can sometimes lead to depression. Fortunately, having a pet like a Shih Tzu can provide people with companionship that offers unconditional love.
- Develop your social skills. Senior people usually aren’t that sociable. However, having a pet Shih Tzu will naturally begin a positive conversation with other people, which can help develop a person’s social interactions. Developing your social skills can help you better cope with stress, anxiety and depression.
- An excellent pet for dementia sufferers. A health study found that patients suffering with Alzheimer’s disease show reduced aggressive behavior and lower stress levels. Playing with their pet also soothes dementia sufferers.
There are many good reasons why having a pet dog is beneficial for everyone in your family. Aside from having a cute dog companion, it also has qualities that can help enhance your physical and mental health. Being a dog owner helps in increasing physical activity, thereby improving your heart health. Taking care of a Shih Tzu is also known to relax and calm its owner. This small dog breed is also good natured, making it an ideal companion for the whole family.