So, you want to vape.
Do you feel lost because you have no idea where to start?
Don’t worry, we’ve all been there. Back in the day, I’ve experienced my fair share of trials and errors.
But right now, with years of experience behind my back, I am ready to give you a comprehensive guide to vaping for beginners, and having it read, you will never feel like a noob again.
Familiarizing Yourself with Different Vaping Methods
If you are ready to know how to start vaping, the number one thing you need to learn is the variety of vaping styles. Some of them are simple, others are more complex, but don’t let this discourage you. Just give yourself some time, and you’ll understand them all:
- Standard (or regular) vaping. This style is the simplest and probably the most popular one, which makes it perfect for people who are just getting started with vaping. It involves using an e-cig and an atomizer with the coil resistance over 1 ohm. This is a mouth-to-lung style, which means the vapor first gets into your mouth and, after a short amount of time, you inhale it into the lungs (there’s also the direct-to-lung method, which implies the vapor getting into your lungs directly with each draw). Standard vaping is definitely the most accessible and the easiest style. The devices for it don’t require users to have any experience at all. However, when choosing this vaping style, keep in mind that it doesn’t offer huge clouds. It’s more about the flavor and the satisfying experiencethat kind of mimics regular smoking with a moderate amount of vapor.
- Temperature control.This is the vaping style that allows users to actually control the temperature, which the coils in the atomizer heat up to. This allows for a more customizable experienceand gives users a chance to control the intensity of flavor and the amount of vapor. Here’s the deal, though: being new to vaping, you need to know that this style requires a more serious, more powerful device and special coils that are suitable for temperature control.
- Sub-ohm vaping. This style is all about clouds. I mean, the flavor should be great too, depending on what device and e-juice you’re using. However, sub-ohm vaping is a perfect style for people who are into thick vapor (also knownas cloud chasers). This vaping style implies using sub-ohm coils, i.e. the coils with the resistance lower than 1 ohm. Again, this is a more advanced vaping method, which requires special, complex devices and a lot of specific knowledge on your part.
“Remember that coils burn out with time and need to be changed regularly. Some coils last for a week, others may serve you longer. You will know that it’s time to buy new coils when you start feeling that the flavor is lacking, the vapor amount is poorer, and the overall performance of your device seems less powerful and less satisfying. You might also feel a hint of that nasty burnt taste when inhaling. That should be a clear sign.”
- Dry herb and wax vaping. This one is rather self-explanatory, right? Yes, it involves vaping dry herbs or waxy marijuana It also requires some experience and practice, but there’s nothing extremely complex about this vaping style. It uses special atomizers that differ in their design and heating elements, some of which also allow for temperature control and customization.
Vaping Devices and Their Types
Now, I’m sure that you realize how important this part is. This is when explaining vaping for beginners becomes a bit trickier. The variety of devices on the market can be overwhelming, but with this guide to vaping, you will be able to distinguish them from one another:
- Cig-a-likes. Being the most primitive devices, cig-a-likes are an ideal option for people who are new to vaping. Such devices are disposable and extremely easy to use. All you have to do is start inhaling, which activates the cig-a-like and allows you to enjoy the vapor. Once the device dies, you toss it and get a new one. Or, you move on to something a bit more advanced like…
- Electronic cigarettes (e-cigs).Each electronic cigarette has a battery, an atomizer (a heating element), and a cartridge that holds the vaping material (most commonly, the e-juice, although there are cartridges with waxy concentrates). These devices are typically rechargeable, so they offer a more durable usage. You just need to buy new cartridges.
And it gets better: they are also super simple to operate, therefore, suitable for people who don’t know how to start vaping.
- Vape pens.This is the next step-up, as vape pens offer more power, more flexibility, and a more impressive performance. As you might have guessed, they are typically designed in theform of a pen, which features a battery and an atomizer. They can be used for sub-ohm or TC vaping but still remain convenient, portable devices that you can carry around. Just don’t forget to charge your device!
A quick note: atomizers also differ in their design and functionality. You might meet vape tanks (the ones that feature a special tank that holds the e-juice and a pre-installed coil), RDAs (rebuildable dripping atomizers, which allow users to build their coils themselves and drip the e-liquid directly onto those coils), RTAs (rebuildable tank atomizers, which also allow for coil building and feature an e-juice tank), and RDTAs (rebuildable dripping tank atomizers, a combination of the previous two).
- Vape mods. This is the most complicated part of our “vaping for dummies” lesson. Vape mods are powerful, advanced, and should be used by experienced vapers only. These devices contain powerful batteries (internal or removable), allow for countless customization options, and offer a very powerful performance. Typically styled in theform of a box, vape mods can be paired with pretty much any atomizer, which allows for endless options and a unique experience.
What Is E-Juice?
Explaining vaping for beginners should definitely include the e-juice (also known as e-liquid or simply vape juice). Now, e-juice is what your atomizer heats up and turns into vapor. Typically, e-juices include the following ingredients:
- Propylene Glycol (PG) and Vegetable Glycerin (VG).These substances are food grade additives, which serve as the base for any e-liquid. The ratio of these components determines the qualities and the thickness of the e-juice. For instance, vape juices that are high in VG are thicker and produce more vapor with a smoother hit, while PG-concentrated e-liquids offer a better, richer flavor.
“Don’t be afraid to experiment. Try various atomizers, explore different e-juice flavors, and try using a couple of different coil heads. This will allow you to find the best possible combination for an ideal vaping experience.”
- Flavoring (food grade).This component determines what your vapor is going to taste like. Here’s the kicker: the modern market offers tons of flavors, from sour and earthy to sweet and dessert-like. You will definitely find something for yourself!
- Nicotine. Now, this component is optional, since not all e-juices contain it. And those that do, they offer different nicotine levels to choose from. The choicewill depend on your personal preferences, so make sure you read the bottle before buying the vape juice to pick the correct nicotine level.
Just remember one thing: the more nicotine the juice contains, the more subtle the overall flavor will be. For instance, when buying a cookie-flavored e-liquid with 18 mg of nicotine, you won’t actually feel too much of that cookie.
Where to Get a Vape
Vaping for beginners may seem confusing at first. Especially when it’s time to actually shop for your first device.
But here’s the deal:
You only have two options — you can buy your device either online or at a physical vape store.
You might be wondering, “Which one is better then?” To be honest, there are pros and cons to each. A physical store will allow you to see, touch, and maybe even test a device before buying it. At the same time, online stores offer lower prices and a wider selection of goods. Plus, don’t forget that online shopping allows you to check out reviews!
So, if you want to save some money or pick from an endless list of vape devices, you should probably shop online. However, if you prefer seeing the product you’re about to buy and talking to consultants face to face, googling the nearest physical vape storewould be a better option for you.
A simple hack:You can always test a device in a physical store, remember the manufacturer and the model, and then google it to check the reviews and see whether online shops offer a lower price.
How to Choose the Best Vape for Beginner
This is a crucial part of our guide to vaping. Even when you know (in theory) what you’re dealing with, there are some specific factors you need to consider if you want to pick the best device.
First off, think about yourself. Decide which vaping style interests you the most. Based on this, you will know what type of device you want. I personally believe that if you’re a beginner, you should start with something simple, like cig-a-likes or e-cigs. But how do you pick the best one?
By the way, you can use social media to find a lot of information regarding vaping.
“If you want your vaping device to serve you longer, don’t forget to clean it regularly. This will help you keep the parts properly operating longer. Moreover, this will help you preserve the purity of the flavor since the residue from different e-juices won’t overlap and ruin your experience.”
Here’s what you need to pay attention to:
- Battery. If you want to vape all day or carry your device with you during the day, you need something with a powerful battery. A model with a removable battery will allow for a more prolonged usage: just take one battery out, insert the charged one, and continue vaping.
- Warranty. Many vapers tend to ignore this factor, but here’s the thing: the warranty is what can show you the quality of the product. When a manufacturer is sure of their device’s quality, they offer a long warranty. Therefore, buying a vaping device with a 3-month warranty is not a good idea, in my humble opinion.
- Price. I wish I could tell you that money doesn’t matter here. But the truth is,when it comes to vaping, you get what you pay for. Yes, there are many decent cheap devices, but if you want a superb performance and durability, prepare to spend more.
- Size. Portability is an awesome feature numerous devices possess. So, if you want something small, lightweight, and extremely portable, you will definitely find an appropriate vape pen. However, you should remember that smaller devices typically aren’t really
I know, it all looks easier in theory. But when it comes to actually buying your first vape, the task still seems too complicated.
Don’t despair, my friend! There’s one more thing you can do:
Check out websites containing reviews on the best vaping devices, which are written by people who have a lot of experience in this niche. They’ve tried and tested hundreds of models, and are ready to share their knowledge to save you from buying questionable items.
You won’t have to surf every corner of the Web and sort out the reviews that look vague and don’t provide any relevant, specific info. Instead, you will get only the needed information presented in a very comprehensive way. Most importantly, you will discover both good and bad sides of each device.
As a beginner, you’ve probably done some portion of your research and know that FDA regulates the e-cigs use and how they are being sold. However, if you are seriously interested in vaping, you will need to do more thorough a research.
You see, the regulations on vaping differ depending on the state you live in. The buying age for vaping devices also differs from state to state. What you need to do is find the info about your particular state and arm yourself with knowledge. I know that it might sound boring, but the good news is the list of rules isn’t really that long. So, reading up won’t take too much time, and you will be able to start your vaping journey very soon.
“Familiarize yourself with the vaping regulations in your state. This will save you from troubles in the future.”
Hopefully, this “vaping for dummies” guide will help you burst out your “newbie” bubble and move on to the next level. So, welcome to the world of vaping, my friend. Stay for longer, it’s fun here!